• Contact Us
  • Translate
  • Follow:
  • Accessibility
Home > Municipal Guide > Departments > Administration > Commissioning of Documents

Commissioning of Documents

A Commissioner is a person authorized by the Province of Ontario to take oaths or declarations when you sign an affidavit or statutory declaration.  The Clerk and Deputy Clerk, as well as the Treasurer and Deputy Treasurer, are commissioners for taking affidavits in the Municipality of Central Huron.  This authority is conferred by the Commissioners for Taking Affidavits Act.

The Commissioner is not responsible for the content of the affidavit; it is the responsibility of the person whose signature is being commissioned (the "deponent"). The deponent must understand not only the details to which he or she will attest but also the fact that he or she is swearing an oath that the details are correct.

In order for the commissioning to take place, the deponent must bring proper identification to prove their identity. The affidavit must be signed in the presence of the commissioner. 

The fee for utilizing the commissioning service is $15. 

A note that a Commissioner for taking Affidavits is not the same as a “Notary Public”.  A Notary Public is a person who is authorized under the Notaries Act to commission documents, certify documents as true copies and to verify signatures.  The requirements to become a Notary Public are more stringent than for a Commissioner and most are lawyers or judicial officers.  If you require a document to be "notarized" as opposed to "commissioned", the person administering the oath or affidavit generally is a lawyer.

Central Huron • 519-482-3997 • Contact Us