• Contact Us
  • Translate
  • Follow:
  • Accessibility
Home > Municipal Guide > Departments > Administration > Marriage Licencing and Civil Ceremonies

Marriage Licencing and Civil Ceremonies

Couples planning to be married in Ontario are required to obtain a marriage licence. A licence is valid anywhere in Ontario for 90 days from the date of issue. There is no waiting period between the date of issue of the marriage licence and the date of marriage.

Marriage licences can be purchased at the Clerk’s office in the Municipal office located at 23 Albert Street in Clinton between 8:30 a.m. and 4:30 p.m. Monday to Friday.

Licence Fee: is $100.00, payable by cash, Interac or cheque.

The marriage licence application may be completed online below or at the Clerk’s Office. Complete online by following these easy steps:

  • Enter the necessary information. 
  • Save 
  • Record the 4 digit number. 
  • Print the application immediately as it cannot be retrieved at a later time. 
  • Both applicants must sign and date the application.

The marriage licence application MUST BE SIGNED BY BOTH INDIVIDUALS. The completed application along with the 4 digit number must be submitted in person to the Clerk’s Office by at least one of the applicants with supporting documents for both applicants noted below. The Marriage Licence will then be issued.

To obtain a marriage licence:

  • At least one applicant to the proposed marriage must apply in person 
  • The completed Marriage Licence Application must be signed and dated by both applicants. Please ensure that the Religious Denomination section is completed, “None” or “Nil” is acceptable. 
  • 2 valid pieces of I.D. are required for both parties. One of which, must be, either a current Passport or Birth Certificate. The second piece of Identification may be either a valid Driver’s Licence or Photo Health Card. 
  • Applicants 16-17 years of age require both parents’ consent. Consent Form 6 must be completed by parents or guardians. 
  • If you are currently divorced, we require the original or court certified copy of the Decree Absolute, Certificate of Divorce or Final Judgment. Photocopies are not acceptable. The court that granted the divorce can certify a copy. If the Divorce was granted outside of Canada please ask for the Foreign Divorce Kit forms, and allow additional time to process (if the decree is in a language other than English or French, a certified translation must be provided). 
  • A Marriage Licence is valid in Ontario only for a period of three (3) months from the date of issuance.

Complete the marriage licence application here.

Civil Marriages

The Clerk’s office currently performs civil marriages at the Town Hall by appointment only.

Please view the Guidelines for Civil Marriage prior to completing an Application Form.

For further information or to make an appointment, please contact the Clerk’s Department at 519-482-3997 or via email at clerk@centralhuron.com

You may apply for a Certificate of Marriage 12 weeks after your date of marriage by completing an on-line form available from Service Ontario.


1. Ceremonies will be conducted by the Clerk in the Town Hall located at 23 Albert Street in Clinton, Ontario.

2. A request for a civil ceremony is to be received at least seven days prior to the date of the ceremony.

  •  Pre-ceremony consultation meeting (approximately 30 minutes( is required.
  •  Both parties must be in attendance and provide photo identification
  •  Application for a Civil Marriage Ceremony form will be completed
  •  Tour of locations within the Town Hall will be provided
  •  Music selection (if any) will be discussed
  •  If specific vows are to be included, please provide a written copy
  •  Marriage Licence to be presented (date issued to be within 3 Months of ceremony)
  •  Fee to be paid in full.

3. Changes to date and/or time are allowed at no additional charge provided that the location and Officiant are available.  An administration fee of $50.00 will be charged if the ceremony is cancelled prior to the scheduled date.  No refund will be issued if the ceremony is cancelled on the day of the ceremony, or if the applicant(s) do not show up for the ceremony.

4. The ceremony will take approximately 20 minutes.  Plan to arrive at least 10 minutes prior to the ceremony to allow time to review final details.

5. Alcohol or stimulants are not to be used by the celebrants or their witnesses prior to or during the ceremony.  If the Officiate believes that alcohol or other stimulants have been used, the ceremony will not proceed.

6.In order to maintain the dignity of the ceremony, clothing should be appropriate for the occasion.

7. Music will be permitted before and after the ceremony (applicants to provide equipment).  When selecting the type of music, consideration should be given to its appropriateness and contribution to the dignity of the occasion.

8. A maximum of 50 guests (not including the bride, groom and designated witnesses) can be accommodated.

9. The taking of photographs will not be permitted during the ceremony.  An opportunity will be provided for photos before the ceremony begins, during the signing of the register and when the ceremony is completed.

10. Absolutely no confetti, rice, bubbles, candles etc. are allowed in or on the grounds of the municipal offices or property.

11. Cell phones must be turned off prior to the commencement of the ceremony and not permitted until all documents are signed.

12. Minimal decorations are permitted (e.g. flowers, balloons).  They may be placed 15 minutes prior to the ceremony and removed within 15 minutes of the conclusion of the ceremony.

13. It is the applicants’ responsibility to provide an interpreter if they do not speak English and/or require language assistance.  The interpreter should not be one of the witnesses.  The interpreter will be required to sing a form that he/she has interpreted the wedding ceremony.


  1. There is no minimum age requirement for a witness, however, it is suggested they should be at least 16 years of age and should be able to understand and appreciate the nature of the ceremony and be able to give evidence of such at a later date, if required.
  2. The Record of Solemnization of Marriage given at the ceremony is not a legal record. Approximately 8 weeks after the ceremony, you may apply to the Office of the Registrar General to obtain an official Certificate of Marriage.  The appropriate form is included within the licence or you ay apply at serviceontario.ca.

Complete the marriage licence application here.

Central Huron Officiants:
Brenda MacIsaac  (519) 482-3997 ext. 1223
Richard Harding  (519) 525-0176
Gary Martin - (519) 524-9566

Central Huron • 519-482-3997 • Contact Us